Not only are hurricanes incredibly destructive to our homes, yards, businesses, and personal property, but the strong winds, heavy rainfall, and storm surges that accompany them make them dangerous — and potentially even life-threatening. As homeowners, however, there are some steps we can take to protect our homes, belongings, and loved ones from these dangerous tropical storms. To learn all about these steps, review the sections below.
Preparing for a Hurricane
Whether a tropical storm is fast approaching in your region or you’re preparing your home and household members for the next hurricane season, these tips and resources can help.
- Create or revisit your family’s hurricane preparedness plan.
- Assemble or purchase a hurricane survival kit that includes first aid supplies, a portable weather radio, tactical flashlight, and other essential items.
- Learn how to prepare for hurricanes and other natural disasters in the age of COVID-19.
Staying Safe During the Storm
In the event of a hurricane warning, complete these steps to protect your home and family from the impending tropical storm.
- Prep the inside and outside of your home shortly before the hurricane strikes to minimize potential storm damages.
- Know when to evacuate your home and when to shelter in place.
- Review the CDC’s tips for keeping pets safe in the event of a natural disaster.
- Avoid making seven dangerous mistakes during a hurricane, as these mistakes could endanger you, your family, and your pets.
Cleaning Up After a Tropical Storm Strikes
After the hurricane passes, complete the following steps to safely assess any damages to your home and vehicles, and begin cleaning up your home and yard.
- If you’ve evacuated, return to your home only once it’s been deemed safe to do so.
- Document any damages and contact your homeowners insurance company to file a claim.
- Remove damaged trees, reseal your windows and doors, and work on other DIY projects that won’t require the help of a professional.
- Assess any damages to your vehicle(s) and file an automobile insurance claim, if necessary.
Hurricanes can be costly, destructive, and deadly if the right safety precautions aren’t taken before a storm strikes in your area. As such, it’s important to learn about the different things you can do before, during, and after a tropical storm hits — as these precautions will protect your home and property from costly damages, and keep your loved ones out of harm’s way.